Associated Universities, Inc. (AUI), is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) corporation that manages forefront research facilities. It currently operates the National Radio Astronomy Observatory (NRAO), the Green Bank Observatory (GBO), and the Long Baseline Observatory (LBO), all for the National Science Foundation, with facilities in the United States and Chile. AUI is seeking a Controller, responsible for the oversight of all daily finance, accounting, and reporting activities of the AUI Corporate Office and its operating facilities.
Reporting to the AUI Chief Financial Officer (CFO), the Controller will support the CFO in the planning and execution of all external and internal audits and cognizant agency reviews and required submissions including indirect rate calculation and submission. He or she will manage the fiscal staff of AUI and work closely with other senior managers. He or she will be involved in the preparation of presentations to the AUI Board of Trustees and the AUI Audit Committee. The position requires a strong background in not-for-profit accounting and broad understanding of OMB Circular 2 CFR 200.
- Supervise all day-to-day finance operations for AUI Corporate and its managed facilities with an annual budget of approximately $100 million.
- Manage a team of approximately ten (10) staff members at multiple locations in the functional area of: payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, general accounting, fixed assets and compliance reporting, establishing and maintaining an organizational structure and staffing to effectively accomplish the department’s goals and objectives.
- Support the CFO in the oversight of the AUI Fiscal Division to ensure all financial transactional activity are recorded both timely and accurately in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and AUI policies.
- Provide direction to and partner with AUI and operating center staff regarding accounting policies and procedures, implementation of new practices and procedures, and efficient control and utilization of financial resources.
- Prepare and present financial statements and associated reports for management and financial institutions.
- Monitor the accounting system effectiveness and make recommendations for enhancements and other processes.
- Ensure compliance with 2 CFR 200, NSF Proposal and Award Policies and Procedures Guide, and other funder requirements.
- Supervise the Cash Management process for AUI and all operating facilities to ensure adequate funds are available to meet all immediate obligations.
- Support the CFO in the establishment of adequate internal controls and audit procedures to ensure proper financial management.
- Responsible for the timely completion of AUI’s annual financial audits.
- Supervise the completion of Federal and state tax reporting requirements including the IRS Form 990.
- Prepare AUI’s NICRA (Negotiated Indirect Cost Recovery Agreement) submission to the cognizant agency and ensure compliance.
- In conjunction with Senior Management, support the organization in ensuring that all financial policies and procedures are properly implemented and adhered to by all AUI/NRAO staff.
Bachelor’s degree (preferably in accounting, finance or related business field).
The Controller will be a proactive, seasoned professional with at least 10 years of progressive experience in finance and accounting, of which more than three years have been in a management and leadership role.
Additional qualifications and attributes include:
- Active CPA license required.
- Strong familiarity with U.S. Government audits and the Uniform Guidance.
- Demonstrated knowledge of current accounting developments, technology, practice, and regulation relative to nonprofits.
- Experience in implementing, or overseeing the implementation of, financial systems is highly desirable. While experience with JD Edwards is considered a plus, applicants experienced with other industry-standard financial systems are encouraged to apply.
- Proven organization, communication, and people skills necessary to manage a staff while providing fast, reliable service.
- Excellent communicator with strong oral and written skills.
For consideration please apply here: https://cw.na1.hgncloud.com/nrao/loadJobPostingDetails.do?jobPostingID=103221&source=jobList
Early applications are encouraged. Applicants will be reviewed upon submission.
The position will be open until filled.
AUI’s policy on equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or veteran status. This policy applies to recruiting, hiring, transfers, promotions, terminations, compensation and benefits and also states that retaliation against any employee who files a complaint regarding possible violations of this policy will not be tolerated.
AUI is committed to taking affirmative steps to promote the employment and advancement of minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. Every year, AUI and its centers develop affirmative action programs to support its commitment to equal employment opportunity, consistent with company policy and the company’s obligations as a contractor to the United States government.