Travel Policy Overview


The purpose of this policy is to provide guidance for employees and non-employees incurring business travel and related meals expense on behalf of Associated Universities, Inc. as it relates to approval, travel advances, authorized expenses, and expense reimbursement.

This policy does not apply to relocation expenses.


This policy applies to AUI corporate employees (regardless of their normal place of work) and non-employees who have been authorized to travel on behalf of AUI.  Employees of AUI with reporting lines through NRAO are covered by a separate travel policy available at


It is AUI’s policy to reimburse ordinary, necessary and reasonable business expenses incurred by authorized employees and non-employees for the transaction of AUI business.  Ordinary business expenses are those which are customary or usual to a business community. Necessary and reasonable business expenses are those which are required and appropriate for the conduct of AUI’s business.

Travel expenses for transportation, lodging and meals are examples of ordinary and necessary business expenses normally incurred when overnight business trips are required and will be reimbursed in accordance with the policy below.  Travel-related expenses of a personal nature such as the cost of traffic tickets, toiletries, commuting to and from work, and non-business related travel and meals are non-reimbursable expenses under this policy.

As responsible stewards of Federal funding, employees and non-employees are expected to exercise good judgment when distinguishing between reasonable comfort and extravagance. AUI assumes no obligation to reimburse employees or non-employees for expenses that are not in compliance with this policy.

Certain expenditures (e.g., alcohol) are “unallowable” in accordance with federal cost principles and cannot be charged to a federal award or to the indirect cost pool.  However, some unallowable expenses may be reimbursed by non-federal funds under specific circumstances if the situation warrants and only with approval from the President or authorized designee.

It is recommended that anyone traveling to areas of political or social unrest review the latest travel advisories issued by the State Department by referring to the State Department website. In addition, it is recommended that the traveler check with his/her health insurance provider to make sure that he/she is covered beyond the U.S. and if there are any special considerations.