The development and operation of world-class user facilities and the conduct of frontier research requires a staff of the highest caliber. AUI’s personnel policies, which are designed to attract and retain such individuals, are guided by the following principles:
- Maintaining employer/employee relationships based on mutual respect;
- Selecting and/or promoting the best qualified candidate(s) for open positions;
- Promoting diversity and broad participation within the workforces of AUI and its Centers;
- Enabling employees to pursue their professional goals in the context of the goals of AUI and its Centers;
- Compensating employees fairly and consistently;
- Complying with all applicable laws and regulations; and
- Adhering to the terms of all contracts.
Each AUI Research Center shall develop and disseminate to its staff detailed policies suited to its missions that are consistent with these principles and with the general policies outlined in the AUI Organization and Policy Manual. Policy and procedure manuals/handbooks developed by Centers shall be reviewed and approved by the President prior to distribution and prior to submission for any contractually required funding agency review and approval. The Corporate Office shall also establish policies, perhaps coincident with one or more Research Centers, consistent with the principles already set forth. General oversight of the personnel policies of the Corporate Office and of the Centers rests with the Board and its Committees to which the Corporate Office shall report significant personnel-related issues.